Alone, But Not Lonely: What an Island Taught Me About Myself

What is the difference between being alone and being lonely? It sounds like a simple question, but the more I sat with it, the more it unraveled into something deeply personal. Can you be alone and still be happy - truly at peace? Or is loneliness an inevitable companion of solitude? These questions did not arrive as philosophy; they arrived as discomfort. I wasn’t just struggling to live alone - I was struggling to be at peace while doing so. And that made me wonder: am I alone, or am I lonely?

Growing up in India, solitude was never something I had to understand. Life was always full - of people, noise, relationships, obligations. Family, friends, colleagues, even strangers formed a constant backdrop to existence. In such a culture, being alone is rarely neutral; it is often interpreted as a kind of failure. You are considered wealthy if you have a loving family, a circle that surrounds you. But what if that same circle makes you feel unseen? What if you are held, but not understood? Then what does that wealth really mean?

And what about those who don’t have that circle at all? Are they condemned to unhappiness? Or have we simply built a narrative that makes solitude seem like a void instead of a possibility? Why have we made it necessary to surround ourselves with people, regardless of whether they nurture us, challenge us, or even truly care for our well-being? Is being alone really so bad - or have we just never learned how to be with ourselves?

With these questions quietly unsettled within me, I decided to do something I had never done before. I traveled alone to a small island in the Swedish archipelago - just 3.5 kilometers wide and 1 kilometer long. I had traveled solo across countries and continents, but this felt different. This wasn’t about exploring a new place; it was about confronting a new state of being. The idea of staying alone in a cabin, surrounded by forest and sea, was both thrilling and unsettling. There is a unique kind of anxiety that comes not from danger, but from silence.

At the docking station, I met Gert - an 80-year-old man who carried himself with the lightness of someone untouched by age. He greeted me with a warm, effortless smile and helped load my heavy bags onto his small boat. As we began to sail, something struck me almost immediately. There was no wind to disturb the water, no other boats in sight - just an endless stretch of calm sea in every direction. We were a single, small vessel in a vast expanse, moving steadily through silence.

And yet, Gert was completely at ease.

There was no hesitation in his movements, no trace of fear in his eyes. He navigated the waters as if they were an extension of himself. His confidence wasn’t loud or performative; it was quiet, deeply rooted. The vastness that made me feel small did not seem to deter him in the slightest. Instead, he smiled, spoke gently, and carried on as though this solitude - this openness - was the most natural thing in the world. His fearlessness, his spirit, his calm joy - it was all contagious. Somewhere in that silent journey, I felt my own anxiety begin to loosen its grip.

As we spoke, I learned that he was the only resident on the island. His wife, children, and grandchildren lived in Stockholm, but he had chosen this life. He managed everything on his own - groceries, maintenance, daily routines. In winter, when the sea turned harsh, he relied on helicopters for essential travel. His children had once commuted to school from this very island, navigating the waters daily. To me, it sounded like effort, even hardship. But to him, it was simply life, lived on his own terms.

When we finally reached the island, I began to understand why.



Everything around me told a story - not of isolation, but of intention. Wooden stairs carved into the hillside, a small carriage to transport goods, a sauna nestled discreetly into the landscape, open-air spaces built not to dominate nature but to coexist with it. It was clear that this was not a man escaping the world, but one who had chosen to live in harmony with it. Every structure felt like a conversation between human effort and natural beauty.

Before entering my cabin, I asked him, almost instinctively, “Gert, are you happy living here?” He smiled, as though the answer had never required thought. “Oh yes,” he said.

“I have lived here for 45 years. I love it.” 

There was something disarming about the simplicity of his response. No explanation. No justification. Just truth.

I ventured into the forest alone, carrying both curiosity and caution. What I found was something I struggle to fully describe.

Deer moved quietly between trees, birds filled the air with soft, scattered songs, and the forest floor was covered in moss and lichens so pristine they seemed untouched by time. Streams cut through valleys, and towering pine trees stood like silent witnesses to everything that had ever passed through. It was breathtaking - and yet, there was an underlying intensity to it. Nature was not performing for me; it simply existed, powerful and indifferent. “Rudra Ramaneeya,” as we say in Kannada - a beauty that is both divine and fierce.

That night, after my first sauna experience, my body carried an unfamiliar warmth that refused to settle. I woke up around 3:15 AM, restless, and stepped outside to the porch.

What I saw felt almost unreal. A sky overflowing with stars, a full moon illuminating the sea with a quiet brilliance, and the sound of the Baltic waters moving gently in the wind. There were no distractions, no interruptions - just a vast, uninterrupted presence. I sat there for thirty minutes, doing nothing but absorbing it all. And in that stillness, something shifted within me.

For the first time, I understood that being alone does not automatically mean being lonely.

I had brought Meditations by Marcus Aurelius with me, and his words seemed to come alive in that environment. He wrote about finding beauty in the overlooked - the cracks in bread, the ripening of fruit, the quiet grace of aging. He spoke of being like a spring - untainted by what is thrown into it, continuing to flow clear and steady. Sitting there on that porch, I realized that loneliness is not created by the absence of people, but by the absence of connection - connection with oneself, with nature, with something deeper than the constant noise of daily life.

By the end of my stay, something had changed. I had walked alone through dense forests, climbed rough terrains, crossed streams, and sat with my thoughts without the urge to escape them. These were things I once believed I wasn’t capable of. And yet, here I was - doing them, and more importantly, finding peace in them.

Living alone, I realized, is not inherently difficult. What is difficult is confronting the silence it brings. But if you allow that silence to speak, it does not echo emptiness - it reveals clarity. Nature, in its quiet, unwavering presence, became a companion more honest than any I had known. There is no pretense in it, no expectation - just existence, in its purest form.

Gert had seen the world - lived in different countries, experienced different lives - and yet, he chose this. A small island, a vast sea, and a life stripped down to its essentials. It is not an easy life, but it is an intentional one. And once you begin to understand that kind of living, the noise of the outside world starts to feel… unnecessary.

As I return to my world - the one filled with constant motion, expectations, and artificially induced stress - I carry this experience with me. Not as an escape, but as a reminder.

You can be surrounded by people and still feel lonely.
And you can be alone, on a quiet island under a sky full of stars, and feel completely at peace.

The difference, I now know, is not in the number of people around you.
It is in the depth of your connection - with the world, and with yourself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Luxury of Not Being Seen

How Habuild Helped Me Fall in Love with Yoga - For Real This Time